Wednesday, February 6, 2013
"It has been my philosophy of life that difficulties vanish when faced boldly."
- Isaac Asimov
There's more to the truth than just the facts.
- Author Unknown
I've never quite believed that one chance is all I get.
- Anne Tyler
US novelist (1941 - )
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
- Thomas Paine
US patriot & political philosopher (1737 - 1809)
My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.
- Edith Sitwell
English biographer, critic, novelist, & poet (1887 - 1964)
Though I am grateful for the blessings of wealth, it hasn't changed who I am. My feet are still on the ground. I'm just wearing better shoes.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
Even God cannot change the past.
- Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)
The important thing was to love rather than to be loved.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), 'Of Human Bondage', 1915
There are some defeats more triumphant than victories.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
If the people who make the decisions are the people who will also bear the consequences of those decisions, perhaps better decisions will result.
- John Abrams, The Company We Keep: Reinventing Small Business for People, Community and Place
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?
No man ever listened himself out of a job.
- Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)
Eliminate something superfluous from your life. Break a habit. Do something that makes you feel insecure.
- Piero Ferrucci
Babies are cool, until you've done everything to do with 'em and you get bored. That's why T.V. shows about babies don't last more than a year.
- Gregory Thomas Garcia, Alan Kirschenbaum, Raising Hope, Burt Rocks, November 30, 2010
We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Mansfield Park
Genuine goodness is threatening to those at the opposite end of the moral spectrum.
- Charles Spencer
We who are of mature age seldom suspect how unmercifully and yet with what insight the very young judge us.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Razor's Edge, 1943
If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.
- Lyndon B. Johnson (1908 - 1973)
You've got your phenomenon on one hand. Concrete and knowable. On the other hand you've got the incomprehensible. You call it God, but to me, God or no, it remains just that, the unknowable.
- Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess, Northern Exposure, A Wing and a Prayer, 1994
Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now blue-green meat, THAT'S bad for you!
- Tommy Smothers
The simple solution for disappointment depression: Get up and get moving. Physically move. Do. Act. Get going.
- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good.
- Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)